When designing the interior or exterior of your home, one major thing that draws attention is the entry point. Installing a stylish door that looks appealing and luxurious adds value to the home. If you are looking for such doors, no other type of door can match what sliding doors offer. A sliding door enhances the appearance of your home with its grandeur and luxurious look. Not only does it add a pinch of royalty to your interior, but it also elevates your room and in-home experience.
Before we jump into the amazing features of a sliding door, we need to understand what it actually is and how it works.
What is a sliding door?
The sliding door consists of one fixed panel and one movable panel, which moves back and forth with the help of a roller along the track. A sliding door opens horizontally to the wall. Sliding doors come in various designs, materials, colors, sizes, and configurations. All these variations come along with elegance. That is why most homeowners are leaning toward sliding doors.
How does a sliding door work?
The sliding doors’ working mechanism is simple. There is one fixed panel and one movable panel. The movable panel moves along the upper and bottom tracks fitted in the door frame. Simple and small sliding doors that are lighter in weight, such as sliding windows, do not use rollers. Heavyweight sliding doors often use rollers attached to the top and bottom of the track for the easy movement of panels. The sliding door is secured by various latches, and these latches depend on the manufacturer and door configuration.
Let’s have a look at the qualities that make a sliding door amazing.
- Space-saving and maximization – One of the most amazing features of a sliding door is that it saves space and creates an illusion of larger space, making the room look bigger than it really is. Just like traditional doors, it does not use hinges to open and close the door, but rather it slides seamlessly on a horizontal track. The arc is taken completely out of context, making the sliding door ideal for space-cramped dwellings.
- Operation made easy – Sliding doors glide along the track with the help of a roller. Typically, one side of the sliding door is immobilized while the other slides on the roller. You can easily slide it to open and close with one hand.
- Energy-efficient – Sliding doors, with their distinctive design, provide excellent thermal insulation. They maintain the interior temperature, keeping your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Sliding doors help you save energy by using their heating and cooling systems, thus saving plenty of money on your monthly energy bill.
- Allows natural light to enter the home – lack of Sunlight is believed to be a sign of depression. The sliding door’s glass panel allows natural light to enter your home. You can get your daily dose of sunshine and natural light, which will help you light up your home and office. You do not need to depend on artificial light during the day, lowering your monthly energy bill. Natural light during the day makes your home look brighter and more welcoming.
- Indoor/outdoor flow – Sliding doors allow homeowners to have a seamless flow between indoor and outdoor spaces, especially when entertaining guests. Not only that, you can double your entertaining space by installing sliding doors in your home.
- Clear outside view – The large glass panes of sliding doors allow an all-around view of your garden space. You can also keep your eyes on outside events and spot any potential danger when kids and pets play outside. You can immediately take action and save them. Apart from this, you can also enjoy the view of rain while being inside.
- Safe and secure – Most people think that how can a sheet of glass be safe? Sliding doors have multi-point security locks screwed into the core of the frame. Furthermore, it comes with shatterproof glass that adds more security to the door. Even if you have a sliding door made of old glass, you can upgrade it and replace the old glass with shatterproof glass. This way, you can save yourself and your family members from a broken glass door incident.
- Versatile – A sliding door’s versatility is its defining feature. You can use the sliding door anywhere in the house, from the kitchen to the closet, even in your backyard or front door. Homeowners can use it to create partitions, such as separating storage from the rest of the room, separating the dining area from the kitchen, and others.
- Elegant and aesthetic look – Installing a sliding door in your home gives it a modern and aesthetic appearance. Sliding doors come in a variety of materials, colors, sizes, and styles that can turn your home into something magical.
- Requires low maintenance – Another feature that makes sliding doors amazing is that they require low maintenance. If you install a new sliding door in your home, it will work well for a few years without any trouble. It has fewer moving parts that need cleaning, that too, twice or thrice a year. You can easily clean the glass panes by using soapy water. Spray the soapy water on the glass panes and wipe them down with a microfiber towel. It is as easy as that. Also, you do not need to worry about discoloration because the material does not lose its luster.
Sliding doors are multipurpose and a modern-day style door that is gaining popularity everywhere because of their amazing features. These eye-catching doors come in various material sizes, colors, and styles. All these features of the sliding door that we have discussed above compel homeowners to install them in their homes. There is no doubt that sliding doors are a functional and practical solution that suits almost all architectural styles.